Women’s Institute

Here you can find all the up to date minutes for the Biddestone and Hartham Women’s Institute. If you are not a member and would like to be please come down to the Biddestone Village Hall at 2pm-4pm on the 3rd Wednesday of each month, all are welcome! The next meeting will be on the 15th of May.

Record of meeting of Biddestone & Hartham Women’s Institute, 17 April 2019

Val Ringham, President, welcomed 12 members and two visitors, and introduced Rosie Harris, Gardener at Biddestone Manor, who gave a very interesting talk on the history of the Manor and its gardens.   The Vote of Thanks was given by Carol.

Refreshments were served by Margaret, and the raffle prize was won by Val R.

The Minutes of the meeting on 19 March were read  by Alison and signed as a correct record.

Matters Arising

Confirmed that Julia and Alison would attend the New Speakers’ Day on 23 July, when they might  find someone suitable to book for November.  

Also confirmed that the Cake and Plant Stall would take place on the Green on Bank Holiday Monday, 27 May, between 10 a.m. and 12 noon.   Ronnie was asked to bring her van again, and Carol would chase the Film Company to check their plans for that day.   Further details to be agreed at next meeting.

Correspondence

Details of the two Resolutions to be debated at the next meeting: Reduction in rural and semi-rural bus services,  and Desirability of attending cervical smear tests regularly.   Further information could be found in the latest W.I. Magazine.   Neither of these seemed contentious, but members were asked to try and        think of arguments against and come prepared to discuss them, in advance of the votes.

Forms had been received to submit questions at the AGM – no interest.

Invitation to join a Climate Change Lobby at Westminster on 26 June.

Campain against “plastic soup” – we are encouraged to target fashion retailers about plastic in fibres..   Agreed to send card to M&S.  

Audience with Eric Knowles  on 5th August.

Biddestone Fete, 29 June.   WI members asked to make scones – list passed round for names.   Cakes also needed for the teas.   Val S-J also requested help with washing up there.  

Finance.   Carol reported that subs had now been paid, and situation was still healthy.

Challenges.   There were several entries for a botanical picture in various mediums, and for a story in eight words – the latter would be submitted for the Centenary Fair in ? July.

Challenge for next month: What three items would you take to a desert island, and why?

Any Other Business.   Margaret asked whether it would be possible for the Village Hall to provide a microphone, which would make it easier for speakers to be heard properly;  Val S-J would enquire about this, and also whether the Hall had a hearing loop.